2010年8月22日 星期日

Do we have a choice?

Talking about Inception, recently I has quite a strong idea ruminating in my mind.

In the past, I used to consider determinism as something naive, but these days when I read more on neuroendocrinology, I started to see how our thinking, emotions and judgement are easily explainable by the minute shoot of neurotransmitters/ hormones. If so, every tiny choice we made in life can simply be attributed to a reflex physiological response.

This may sound simple, but if its true and the whole world accept it, think about the gravity behind. A serial killer raped and killed 10 girls, he can boldly say: My brain made me do it. He is then deemed guilty not because of his cruelty or coldbloodedness - you can only blame his genes and neurons. The social implication is even wider, each and every of us need not at all responsible for our own acts, but instead, we are living only to fulfil the social norm.

The metaphysical meaning of this view is what truly stabbed me hard. I just intuitively cannot accept myself being a uncontrollable program - your conscious mind is reminding you of the freedom to make choice second to second, while in fact it is just a damn scam of life. With this desperation - I can only resort to death.

It is such a huge paradox, gosh!

1 則留言:

  1. This has huge implication on law too - if the act of the accused are involuntary, is it just to convict him.

    My view is that we still have a choice, just sometimes people have less room to choose than others.

    回覆刪除